Online Campaign
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-zombie logging camp fun

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Post-zombie logging camp fun Empty Post-zombie logging camp fun

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:34 pm

The loggers are very grateful for your scouting prowess, and the semi-magic items you brought back will be useful to fund the rest of their operations. You spend the night at the logger's camp, and come morning they've all turned out to thank you personally.

After a hearty breakfast of many types of fish smothered in syrup, the group gets to talking. There are about thirty loggers within the community, predominantly humans and dwarves. There are a few halflings running around, but they mostly take care of the cooking and cleaning, or are one of the logger's significant others, as in the case of Darian the human and Belladonna, the halfling.

The loggers seem very excited this morning, and not just because the adventurers have cleared out the ancient temple in the forest. Apparently, this is the day that the bi-monthly supply caravan comes through town, bearing trade goods bound for the great city-state of Osprey Bay to the south.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post-zombie logging camp fun Empty Re: Post-zombie logging camp fun

Post  Akima Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Akima, seeming uncharacteristically nervous, tries to persuade the group to head out before the caravan.
Akima
Akima

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkside Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm

"Is something wrong Akima? Why don't you want to stay for the caravan?" Rauru says to Akima
Darkside
Darkside

Back to top Go down

Post  Takahiro Kurosawa Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Takahiro chews thoughtfully on his fish as he listens to the loggers chitter excitedly about the caravan. When Akima attempts to persuade them to leave, he turns to her and says, "Why are you in such a hurry? This caravan sounds like an interesting experience. Lots of things to see, culture to absorb."
Takahiro Kurosawa
Takahiro Kurosawa

Back to top Go down

Post  Akima Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Akima sulks a little.

"We can stay, I just have...well, anything having to do with Osprey Bay makes me nervous."
Akima
Akima

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Kashu's ears visibly perk up "So you know of Osprey Bay? I've never been there myself, but I've heard marvelous things about it" He chattered excitedly.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Taji Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Taji leapt to her hooven feet, raising the tankard already in her hand. "Osprey Bay!" she cried, nudging Miko with her hoof. The dire bat wiggled on the ground where he had been sleeping, making an ear-piercing shriek of delight. "I have people there!" She eyed Akima, adding, "and we're going." Her tone left no room for discussion.

Last edited by Taji on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taji
Taji

Back to top Go down

Post  Takahiro Kurosawa Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Takahiro looked around at Taji and Kashu's excited expressions. "Well, I suppose we're going to Osprey Bay. What is it like, anyway?"
Takahiro Kurosawa
Takahiro Kurosawa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 pm

"Ah yes, I'd heard that the King of Osprey Bay was an Ifrit! Akima, wouldn't you like to spend time in a city ruled by an elemental person suchas yourself?" Kashu excitedly scratches at his chin n a decidedly doglike manner.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Alright, let's see if I can remember everything I've heard:
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:38 pm

The City-State of Osprey Bay

400 yrs old, spend it's first fifty years fighting the Merfolk on and off, leading to the creation of the Gillmen. Currently, there is an alliance of humans and and the merfolk, leading Osprey Bay to be one of the foremost naval powers in the world. Most of the human navy is composed of Gillmen.

The city has been ruled by an Ifrit King named Jalij Goldfire for the past fifty years. In that time, they've experienced a record upsurge of economic prosperity and military might. Osprey Bay has formed alliances and trade agreements with the neighboring towns and countries.

Famed for their seafood and marine trading empire, Osprey Bay is a powerful and rich City-State, with few major issues. Even the slums are not as bad as many cities, and the city can offer much in the way of education, entertainment and fine dining. Anything they don't already have can be imported, and usually is. Most of the commerce is controlled by the Guild of Merchants, split into the Naval Guild and the Caravan Guild. Rivalry exists between these two factions, but the city depends more on the Navy, so the Caravans are driven to be the best traders out of spite.

However, with such opportunity for legal ventures also comes a large criminal enterprise. The Thieves Guild, while not officially sanctioned by the government, is nonetheless a powerful political force within the city. This works out in the favor of law and order, however. Any agent wishing to commit illegal acts within the city's boarders must gain the support of the Guild first, generally through membership. Any agent acting on their own will swiftly be dealt with by the Guild itself, leaving the City Guard (known as “Harriers”) to act as the city's standing army.

That isn't to say that the city is free of crime, however. There are a few factions that seek to usurp the current King, and to that end they have allied themselves with various illegal and malicious groups within the city itself that seek either the destruction of this place of peace and prosperity, or to pillage the city and claim it's wealth by force. Those who seek merely to usurp the King use these factions for their own purposes, while those who support them wait for the time where their patron has lost their usefulness.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

POLITCIAL STRUCTURE
The Highest Authority
The King, who for the past fifty years has been Jalij Goldfire. The King is the ultimate authority, holding the ability to veto any measure that he deems unworthy. Reporting directly to him is
The Ambassador, who in this case is a Human by the name of Kent Nelson. Also under the direct command of the King is the five members of
The Circle, the wizards who are among the most powerful in the realm. From various races, many of them have at least one apprentice, who is both magically and politically talented enough to be considered for such an honor.
DM NOTE: “Windspeakers”: The King's personal spies, spread throughout the city. They carry much information to him. As most Ifrits dislike Sylphs, no-one suspects them to be his. The assumption (for those who notice them) is that they work for the Thieves.

The Law of the Land is mostly handled by the seven
High Judges of the High Court. Not only do they set policy, but the also decide how to enforce those laws. Under these authorities are the Major Courts, who deal with felonies, and the Minor Courts, who deal with misdemeanors. Occasionally there will be a case worthy of being brought to the attention of the High Court, but that is only in cases involving a question of policy. The High Judges are easily identified by their bright red robes with black cuffs on their sleeves. They are required by their own laws to wear them at all times.

The Military Might of the city is controlled by the eighteen members of the
City Council. Two members are drawn from each of the nine sections of Osprey Bay, but each section gets just one vote. This system is the one that makes the least sense, as none of the members of the Council are military personnel. They are, however, the most educated and crafty members of the local political parties. The post is one for life, and each member is often advised by three or more members of the military who have served for fourty years or more in Osprey Bay's navy. Additionally, they may have up to five advisers drawn from the City Guards. Unofficially, they are influenced by at least one advisory from the Thieves Guild, whether they want one or not. Each member is easily identified by the distinct pendant that they are required by law to wear at all times. The pendant represents the North Star, of which there are many stories that directly relate to the Navy of Osprey Bay.

The Financial Strength of the City-State is monitored and keenly observed by
Guild of Scribes. Formed almost entirely out of private citizens, the Guild of Scribes became integral to the government when a financial crisis crippled the city one hundred years ago. The tales tell of how the Guild spent weeks working around the clock until, suddenly, the city went from financial ruin to solvency. In gratitude, the then-King Arthur Flamesword officially appointed the Guild into a place in the government. It is their job to monitor the city's finances to ensure that there will be no repeat of that long-ago disaster. The Guild is ruled by the seven
Master Scribes, who are easily identified by the golden feather hanging around their necks. They are required by law to wear this badge of office at all times.

Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Akima Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Akima spit on the ground.

"Dirty. Nasty. Full of the most rotten filth and their offspring. It has beauty, if you're wealthy. Beautiful towers and parks and lovely merchants. But a disgusting seedy underbelly awaits if you slip and fall. I suggest avoiding it at all costs."
Akima
Akima

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

THE CITIZENS

The city is home to many different species, but Humans are the ones who founded the city and the majority of the citizens are, indeed, human. However, many Half-elves have found sanctuary here, and an entirely new species, the Gillmen, has arisen directly out of the city's conflict with the Merefolk, with whom an alliance has now been forged.

EDUCATION

Osprey Bay boasts three of the finest universities the realm has to offer:

The College of Finance
teaches not only the bookkeeping that it was founded to teach, but offers a grounding in all apliciable scientific theory and advancement. Everything from chemistry to advanced physics, this school teaches the basic laws of the universe, as well as being famed for the quality of Scribe that it produces.

The Mage College
exists to break the laws of the universe. Those who apply are not only expected to have a grasp of basic physics, but to understand that what they do should be impossible. There are many classes available, but graduates generally fall into three catagories: Battlemages (Catapults), Alchemists (Chemists-gone-wrong), and The Esoteric (Daydreamers). Battlemages study the practical applications of magic, both for healing and for fighting. Alchemists study the effects of various magical substances, attempting to discover the source of a magic plant or article's power. Esoterics study pure theory, delving into the whys and hows of magic without seeking a practical application.

The Fighter's College
instructs it's students in the martial arts of many cultures. Advanced battle tactics, stance, combat simulation and exacting physical requirements are all part of the school's policy to train and educate the best fighters imaginable. Those who excel at both the physical and mental tasks will be given command of a vessel upon graduation and be well on their way to achieving the high honor of advising one of the members of The Council.

Last edited by Kashu Torikkusuta on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Taji Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

OutOfCharacter: This is, of course, Cashew rambling. I assume we're all kind of like "yeah, yeah..." maybe starting up a card game to pass the time...

BackInCharacter: Taji kicked a bit of dirt at Akima. "I AM one of those offspring," she half-growled. "Besides, the dirt's not so bad if that's what your born to. It's all about settling into it." She stopped talking, not wanting to feel like she had to explain herself. Miko gently flapped toward Akima, trying to get the dust away from her without Taji noticing.

Last edited by Taji on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taji
Taji

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

"That's all I can remember right now" Kashu states. He looks around the room, suprised at the bewildered stares of the loggers, who had never heard anyone expoind so fluently and with such little preparation.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Takahiro Kurosawa Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Takahiro listened with rapt attention to Kashu's explanation. "Well! This city sounds fascinating. So many exotic species and architecture to see!" The tengu's feathers ruffled with excitement. "I'd like to visit this Osprey Bay." The tengu didn't really like the sound of the Thieve's Guild, and the political structure sounded ripe for corruption, but the opportunity to see so many new and supposedly beautiful things was too tempting for him.
Takahiro Kurosawa
Takahiro Kurosawa

Back to top Go down

Post  Taji Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 pm

OoC: Hay guise...I edited my post on the last page. There's more there. Go read? :3
Taji
Taji

Back to top Go down

Post  Akima Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Akima looked at Taji sheepishly.

"You're no dirt, and I have nothing against your ilk...I just...I spent 30 years as an assassin in Osprey Bay. I even worked for the king, at one point. The people there, high-born and low, hide their ugliness behind the beauty of the landscape. I have loose moral code and kill for money, and even I was appalled. It would behoove us to avoid such a place."

She looked back at Miko and sent some wind his way.
Akima
Akima

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

From the excited shouts and energetic gestures from the loggers, the caravan is in sight. There are large sled-like vehicles that seem to be covered with tarps. The runners of the sleds easily transverse the snowy terrain. At the head of the caravan is what appears to be a large boat hovering a few feet off the ground, running a flag with an osprey bearing a silver fish in it's claws. The boat's sails are unfurled, but it seems to be more magically powered than mundanely powered. A dwarf at the head of the boat hollers "AHOY THE CAMP! CARAVAN'S HERE!" This is greeted by many cheers from the loggers.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Taji Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Miko sneezed as Taji tossed her head in effort to seem aloof. "No matter, it is still contains a colony of my tribe and I say we go." She shot Miko a dirty look and he looked up at her sheepishly, mouth slightly parted in what may have passed for a smile. She rolled her eyes and murmered in Infernal, "Rise, leathery baby. We journey to Ofsprey Bay." She began tying down the bundles on Miko's back and sides, busying herself as she noted the closest thing she had to a friend (Besides Miko) floated away.

Last edited by Taji on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taji
Taji

Back to top Go down

Post  Akima Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Akima drifts into the trees behind the group, choosing to be more wind than person. The group of her close friends could barely see her if they tried.

"Just for a moment," she thought. "Just so I know they're not here...."
Akima
Akima

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkside Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Silently without a word, Rauru puts on his backpack and walks over to the caravan and waits for the group to be ready to leave.
Darkside
Darkside

Back to top Go down

Post  Kashu Torikkusuta Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:59 pm

As the loggers begin to unload the cargo, Kashu rushes up to the the dwarf captain and quickly engages him in conversation, apparently attepmting to convince the captain that he should ride for free, seeing as how a Bard can entertain crew and passengers alike. The captain, known as Ironfunder, has a hearty laugh and a grip that could break a stone in half. He and Kashu quickly become involved in negotiations. The rest of the crew seems to be made up of humans and half-elves, who swiftly unload goods and load up lumber, all the while exchanging stories, news and laughter with the loggers.
Kashu Torikkusuta
Kashu Torikkusuta

Back to top Go down

Post  Takahiro Kurosawa Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

The rumbling ground and excited halflings alerted Takahiro's attention to the arriving caravan, and he stepped up and left the tavern to watch the entrance. It was a beautiful vehicle, the sculpture of the osprey above it was exquisitely crafted, and the caravan was outfitted with gorgeous sails, made out of a velvety cloth that he'd never seen before. He admired the structure for a moment before turning to the captain and saying, "Sir, what sort of goods do you carry?"
Takahiro Kurosawa
Takahiro Kurosawa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next